my dear street brawler
Male privilege is “I have a boyfriend” being the only thing that can actually stop someone from hitting on you because they respect another male-bodied person more than they respect your rejection/lack of interest.
The Sociological Cinema
There was actually research that was done that found that women who used an “I have a boyfriend/husband” excuse to reject unwanted sexual attention and harassment by their bosses were more likely to be left alone than those who used any other excuse (including “I’m not interested”)
(Source: queerintersectional, via simzaherons)
nerdherdhelp asked: America, Botswana, Hungary, Hutt River, Russia, Zimbabwe?
Cool, thank you!
- America (What is your favorite place to eat?): There aren’t a lot of places that I can go around here—there’s a vegan pizzeria that’s pretty good, when they get my order right. In my folks’ town, however, there’s a Persian place that’s amazing. I will most likely frequent it many times next month.
- Botswana (Do you like to sing? Why or why not?): I don’t sing when I’m around other people, but when I’m by myself, I sing a lot. I wouldn’t consider myself good by any means though.
- Hungary (Who is the person I trust most?): I have no idea. Probably my mom, because it seems as though whenever I don’t take her advice, she’ll inevitably turn out to be right. But, I mean, even then—it’s hard to trust a person implicitly. And it’s probably not very smart to do so, anyway.
- Hutt River (What is the most memorable dream or nightmare you’ve ever had?): You mean besides the Steve Martin-Gilda Radner one? I don’t know; I tend to forget dreams pretty quickly. There was one I had when I was pretty young—my sister, grandmother and I were at this lake in the military base we used to live on, and I was standing by the side and I could see all these dead people under the water, trying to pull me under. And they got my grandmother and my sister and I ran away to a nearby airplane, and flew away. I generally try to forget dreams and nightmares, because they’re never very pleasant.
- Russia (Have you ever suffered from low self-esteem? Do you still?): My self-esteem is non-existent. I basically consider myself a piece of shit that I have to put up with until I die.
- Zimbabwe (Who is your favorite character from any folklore?): I don’t know if he counts, since he actually existed but is sort of a folk hero now, but probably Musashi Miyamoto, from Japanese folklore. And I always liked Ivan Tsarevich, from the Russian Firebird folk tale. Who else…I like Sir Lancelot. There was a time I was really into Arthurian legends and liked Lancelot the most.
You Know Nothing
This one seems like the most interesting one I've seen. Would you?
What is your favourite place to eat?
Do you have any quirks when speaking?
What kind of person do you wish to be?
Is there anyone you love? Family, friends, romantic interest?
What do you think of your siblings?
Do you like to sing? Why or why not?
Who do you consider close to you?
Describe your culture.
Favourite wintertime activity?
What was the best moment of your life?
What sort of grudges do you hold if any?
What hands-on activities do you like (drawing, carving, building, etc.)?
Do you wish for something of your past?
Do you stand up for what you believe in? How?
Are you controlling?
Do you think people often misunderstand you?
What do you prefer, kindness, sternness, or apathy?
How do you show love for those you care for?
What is the hardest thing you have ever had to do?
Do you have a hard time forgiving yourself?
What is our favourite sport?
Do you let other help you when in need?
Who is the person you trust most?
What is the most memorable dream or nightmare you have had?
Do you fear death?
Do you hide your real personality? Why?
How important is family to you?
Tell us a secret about yourself.
What is your favourite wild animal?
What is one thing you accomplished by yourself?
Is there anyone you have a love-hate relationship with?
Do you believe you are brave?
What is the internet site you visit most often?
How do people underestimate you most often?
Do you desire power?
What is your favourite festival or celebration?
Do you consider yourself strong?
Do you think you are a lucky person?
Would you rather be an elf, dwarf, Hobbit, or wizard?
What is your least favourite part of your personality?
What was the most disappointing time in your life?
Most generous thing someone has done for you?
Hardest thing you have gone through?
Would you prefer to live forever or die alone?
How would you like to be remembered?
What is something you are very ashamed of?
Have you ever suffered from low self esteem? Do you still?
Who is your best friend?
What is your favourite beverage?
How do you handle people being rude to you?
What is your favourite part of your personality?
What would you tell to the person or people you hurt most if you had a second chance?
Are you a leader, follower, or independent?
Would you consider yourself evil, good, or neutral?
How good is your poker face?
What do you value most?
What do you think of the people or person who raised you?
Would you ever want children?
How would you like others to see you?
What is one thing that has made you stronger in life?
What is something you are proud of about yourself?
What kind of art do you like?
Who is your favourite character from any folklore?
I think The Strokes and Julian Casablancas are really in the legacy of great bands. And The Strokes, to me, are as good as The Velvet Underground.
— Hear the robots behind Daft Punk share the inspirations behind Random Access Memories (via nprmusic)
Rappelling Lincoln - Mount Rushmore ca. 1936